Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Who the F*&# You Callin' Obese

I got my new scale today and was reading all the instructions cause it will determine your Body Fat. Before I set it all up I looked up a BMI (Body Mass Index) Chart to get a sense of where I might come out on my new scale. WTF! Just by calculating you height/age/weight you can move along the chart to find your BMI (Body Fat). I ran my finger across the chart. BULLSHYT!

I'll concede that I'm plump and curvaceous, but I WILL NOT accept that I am considered "Morbidly Obese". No MFn' way. I don't give a shyt what that chart says. I've seen morbid obesity and I am FAAAAAAR from it.

Looked up some more information on BMI and here is an excerpt from an article "Setting Standards in the Definition of Obesity":

The BMI Controversy
......Some controversy exists over the accuracy of the BMI for setting obesity standards. Because the BMI uses a standard weight against height formula, it doesn't take into account whether the weight is fat or muscle. Other criticisms of the BMI method of assessing weight and health are that it does not account for:
>frame size—people with a larger frame have greater mass overall but a smaller ratio of lean mass to fat mass.
>gender—weights are the same for men and women, even though women are expected to have a higher percentage of body fat.

Waist Circumference and Waist to Hip Ratio
Determining waist circumference eliminates the inconsistencies of the BMI. Waist circumference measurement is an important part of determining obesity and morbid obesity. A waist circumference of 40 inches in men and 35 inches in women is an indication of obesity.Waist to hip ratio is also used as a guideline for determining obesity. This measurement determines how weight is distributed on the body. Weight distribution on the lower half of the body (pear-shape) generally does not pose the same serious consequences as weight that crowds the abdominal area. Hip to waist ratio is calculated by dividing the circumference of the waist by the circumference of the hips. A healthy waist to hip ratio for women is 0.80 or less. For men, 0.90 or less is a healthy waist to hip ratio. Anything over 1.0 is considered obese

Well, my waist to hip ratio is .80. SCREW BMI. BITE ME. I'm Phat & Fabulous - bout to be ever MORE Fierce. SuperWomen UNITE!

No comments: