Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Tips from Dr. Ian Smith

We are all starting 2008 with new fit & fabulous body goals. (BTW - where is everyone's first post with their goal?). I know that I'm not the only SuperWoman who is gonna lose some poundage...I'm going for an even 40...what are you ladies goin' for?

And I'll be damned if I let hot_tamale's husband group of men do better than us. It is just not in the realm of possibility.

Anyway, here are some tips I just read from Dr. Ian Smith and The 50 Million Pound Challenge.
1. Get real and be specific. Write down three or four realistic goals that you can stick to. For example, "I will try to lose one poud of body fat every week. I will walk for 30 minutes, minimum, five days a week." Avoid fantasy-land goals that will only frustrate you.

Here are my goals:
  • Drink 1/2 my body weight in water every day.
  • Lose 40lbs by Sept 1, 2008 (that's 5 lbs/month).
  • No carbs after 4pm.

2. Get prepared. Throw away all the junk, the processed and the "bingeable" food NOW, and replace them with fresh, whole foods, like lots of water and veggies. During a lifestyle change, if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail!

I am purchasing a new scale that also determines body fat.

3. Get support. Whether it's your best friend, neighbor, spoiuse or pet. It helps to have some nonjudgemental and nurturing support when trying to lose weight, especially during trying times.

That's what I got all of my Super Hero Ladies for!

4. Make daily notes. Research has shown that keeping track of your daily exercise and food intake in a journal or notebook will increase the likelihood of success. The key is to hold yourself acountable.

Between this blog and my food journal, I can't fail.

5. Start small. Choose an activity you can do anywhere, anytime. You don't need to have a gym membership to get fit.

Nope ya don't, but I'm using my gym and my trainer from hell.

No comments: